Signed in as:
Signed in as:
The Allendale Woman's Club is a charitable organization committed to rendering service and helping to make our community a little better. Over the years the community services we engage in have evolved to include the Departments, Committees and Fundraisers. In general, Departments are invaluable for the smooth and efficient running of the club. Committees reach out to the heart of our community to make hands-on and financial contributions. Our Fundraisers make it possible for us to provide scholarships and financially support groups that are helping to make positive changes in our world.
As a 501 (c) (3), Organized, Federated, and Incorporated Non-Profit Corporation, the Allendale Woman's Club is part of the Ramapo District of the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs www.njsfwc.org and the national General Federation of Women’s Clubs www.gfwc.org. These organizations connect us in service and mission with women around the region, state, and country to make an impact on our community both locally and nationally.
Our Community Improvement Projects Committee reaches out to the leaders of town, school, nonprofit and civic organizations to help them meet their needs, projects and initiatives. In the past, beneficiaries have included:
The Allendale Woman’s Club is a member of the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
Our efforts and support also extends beyond our local community. Through our fundraising efforts, we have been able to provide financial support to:
Dr. Haim Ginott, Between Parent & Child [Club Motto]
Co-President: Denise LaGalia
Co-President: Marcia Bole Guzman
Vice President: Carol Lander
Secretary: Laura Dinoia
Treasurer: Lynda Hedbavny
Our Allendale Woman’s Club is a centenary non-profit organization, and it is just incredible to imagine how it used to be over 100 years ago, when a few women from our community got together behind common interests and started on a powerful journey. And how wonderful it is to look around us today, and see that we are surrounded by such a diverse group of strong women, each one a leader in her own way, in their families and in their community.
We congregate in this organization with strong bonds, through the charity we do, and through the laughs and good moments we all share together.
As we start this new year 2023/2024 - honored to rise to the occasion and humbled to be following so many who came before us - we recognize with gratitude the volunteer time, the passion, and the positive energy that each member brings to the club in each action, contribution, and thought.
The AWC only exists because of our dear members. The very moment a woman decides to be part of The AWC, she starts contributing to its construction, “brick by brick”, marking her “stamp”, infusing her “color”. As you are reading this now, either as a member or potential member, we hope you are inspired by the remarkable work that has been done over these 100+ years, and that you join us in continuing to write this amazing story!
“Volunteers don't get paid, not because they're worthless, but because they're priceless.” - Sherry Anderson
Did you know that our Woman’s Club has been active for over 100 years?
In 1918, a group of neighbors created a Community Club to serve as a Woman’s Auxiliary to the Allendale Board of Trade. The Community Club was renamed the Woman’s Club of Allendale and entered the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1922. The initial twenty members were vital in the creation of Memorial Park as a memorial to the soldiers who fought in World War I and lobbied for the installation of public street signs and streetlights in town. They were also instrumental in the creation of the library.
In 1933, the Junior Woman’s Club of Allendale was founded, which was established as a community service organization for women aged 18-35 years old. Their initial 26 members chose the Iris as the club ﬂower, which is still our symbol today. This club actively supported the war efforts during World War II by selling bonds, knitting for soldiers, and assisting the Red Cross.
By the 1960s there were three established women’s clubs in Allendale: The Junior Woman’s Club of Allendale, The Allendale Woman’s Club, and the Woman’s Evening Club of Allendale. Each of these clubs promoted service and made significant contributions to the Allendale community. The Woman’s Club sponsored a Girl Scout troop in 1927, donated chairs to the library in 1928, made drapes for the library in 1954, donated the funds for a kitchen for the Allendale Borough Hall in 1960, and sponsored a well-baby clinic. The Junior Woman’s Club organized a quilt project illustrating historic sites, which was gifted to the Borough of Allendale on July 4, 1976, and still hangs in the municipal building today. In a joint effort, all clubs fundraised to reconstruct the local swimming pool after it was damaged by a ﬂash ﬂood in 1945 and worked on the writing of A History of Allendale in 1964.
In 1989, the Woman’s Club of Allendale was dissolved. Four years later, the Junior Woman’s Club was renamed the Allendale Woman’s Club and the age cap requirement was eliminated. Today, the Allendale Woman’s Club continues to promote service to Allendale and its neighboring communities by spearheading many of the worthwhile projects initiated by our predecessor clubs such as the annual Geranium sale, which was started in 1964, and continues to sponsor the annual Bookmark contest and the Busy Book project for elementary school students, the library activities program and host Breakfast with Santa, which was all initiated by the Junior Woman’s Club. The current club also supports a wider range of endeavors including donating funds for the building of a playground at Crestwood Park, providing bulletproof vests to the Allendale police officers, and supporting Boy Scout Eagle projects.
Moreover, as a 501(C)3 nonproﬁt organization, the club supports our neighboring communities by donating to The Center for Food Action, Center for Hope & Safety (formerly Shelter Our Sisters), The Center for Women’s Heart Health at Valley Hospital, Eva’s Village, Oasis a Haven for Women and Children, the Ramapo-Bergen Animal Refuge, Rebuilding Together, the West Bergen Mental Healthcare, YCS Holley Center, preservation initiatives and many others.
We are committed to serving the needs of our communities and are proud to continue the traditions and objectives of our predecessor clubs while bringing women together for friendship and service.
For more than 100 years, the women of Allendale have been working together in sisterhood and friendship to strengthening our communities. We invite women over the age of 18 who live in the area to join our club by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The objectives of this organization will be to render service to the community as a group, to bring together members interested in subjects of general and social importance that may be helpful to one another, and to cooperate fully with the State Membership Department.
Allendale Woman’s Club PO Box 284, Allendale, NJ 07401 or post to the Website and we will be happy to forward your queries to the proper club members.
If you are looking to sponsor us, this is also the place to contact us.
PO Box 284, Allendale, New Jersey 07401, United States
US Post Office, 2 Myrtle Ave, Allendale, New Jersey 07401, United States